Home » Victoria


Pest Control Licence information – Victoria

Pest Management Technician Licenses VIC

There are several different legislations and Regulations that are relevant to the pest control industry in Victoria. Licenses are issued to pest control operators are issued by the Department of Health and Human Services.

Pest Control Operators (PCO’s) must be aware and comply with the Victorian and Australian Acts which are administered by different departments within the Government. These include WorkSafe Victoria, the Victorian Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEDJTR) and the Victorian Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP).

Worksafe Victoria administers the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 2004 and the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations, 2007, and the specified standards must be adhered to.

The Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources(DEDJTR) ensures that all the standards mentioned in the Agricultural and Veterinary(Control of Use) Act of 1992 and the regulations(2007) are obeyed. It has the mantle of ethical responsibilities by sustaining the multifaceted branches of Pest Control- the Environment, the PCOs and the Clients. It has the authority to ensure:

  1. agricultural produce, livestock and the environment are protected.
  2. pesticides are registered with the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority.
  3. pesticides are applied according to label instructions.

Different Types of Licenses

The department of Health and Human Services currently issues three types of licenses for technician, trainee and interstate operator.

1. Technician Licence

Valid for three years and costs $630.10.

Technician Licence Application Form. (PDF Download)

2. Trainee Licence

Applicable for those who are enrolled in a relevant course and whose course requires them to apply pesticides under the supervision of a fully qualified technician. Valid for 12 months and costs $209.10.

Trainee Licence Application Form.  (PDF Download)

3. Interstate Operator Licence

Applicable for resident technicians of other Australian states or territories who have valid qualifications pertinent to their states/territories and want to take up the same occupation in Victoria. Valid for 3 years and costs $68.30. Licenses must be renewed upon their expiry and in the absence of renewal or cases of infringement found with any of the regulations listed above are deemed to be invalid. The license fees increase each year in accordance with the 2004 Monetary Units act.

Interstate Operator Licence Application Form.  (PDF Download)


To be eligible a person must have obtained an appropriate qualification as listed under the schedule 2 of the 2009 Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations.

The holder of an existing licence may apply to vary or delete anytime they want, however, the final decision lies with the department.

All relevant information and answers for your queries can be found at the official website of the Department of Health and Human Services:

Commercial Operator Licence

In addition to the three licenses above, the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEDJTR) issues a commercial operators licence (COL). The Commercial Operator Licences are for businesses that provide fee-based ground-based chemical application services for agricultural purposes (i.e. all application methods excluding aerial). Any interstate Commercial Operator Licence is not valid in Victoria.

The Department of Economic Development issues three types of COL endorsements. These are   Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEDJTR). Please note each have different training prerequisites. A single licence can carry all endorsements provided the carrier has completed all training.

Timber treatment plants applying a fee-based copper chromium arsenic chemicals require a Copper Chromium Arsenic COL.

Learn more about the Commercial Operators Licence the Australian Business Licnce Information Service ABLIS.